For years curvy women have been treated differently from the rest. Hence the sound of shopping which is like music to many, may not necessarily gives the same feeling to a curvy girl. Likewise goes for our curvy brides!
Of course we understand how all we curvy brides are made to believe that our options are limited. So cos our bodies do not abide to the so called ‘beauty standards’. Not to mention how we are made to feel conscious which as a result ruins the ultimate shopping experience of our lives i.e. shopping for a bridal lehenga!
Here is a guide to firstly break the ‘limited options’ myth and secondly help all you curvy brides to get the look you have always dreamed off.
From flowy fabrics to those a little stiff, your rock solid confidence is more than enough to carry them all with grace.
Georgettes and satins will fall naturally over those pretty curves. While fabrics like benarasi silk, raw silk tussar and kanjivaram will give you the edge over those curves.
Probably the biggest stigma attached with curvy brides is that they should always go for darker colors. In short, limited color option. Lets break this stigma and get ourselves in our favorite color and spin the color wheel girls.
Styl-Tip: using darker colors on the problem areas will conceal like no other. Also dark means dark hue of your favorite color and not shades of black & grey.
3) PRINTS AND EMBROIDERIES
The choice of motifs and embroideries for the lehenga should be done smartly keeping in mind not only the problem areas of the body but also use them to highlight the most attractive parts of your body.
Styl-Tip : Heavy all over embroidery should be avoided as it would make you look heavier and instead, embroidery in moderation or in the form of botis can be opted for.
The way you drape the dupatta around is equally important. It makes a whole lot of difference to your entire look. Opt for some of these drapes to make it work in your favor.
· SAREE DRAPE : while wearing a lehenga, draping your dupatta like a saree will cover up the heavy abdomen, without making you look heavy.
· SHAWL DRAPE: hold the dupatta in the front and pin it to you shoulders and wrap the ends of the dupatta gracefully around your arms and let it flow.
· DOUBLE DUPATTA: Firstly, use one dupatta to drape and then another dupatta to cover your head with and be the princess you dreamt of being.
Get creative with the way you drape your dupatta! Most of all try different styles before settling in on the ‘one’.
5) TRENDS TO FOLLOW 2017
· Curvy brides can also opt for long blouses instead of a regular blouse with the lehenga.
· Floor length anarkali’s are currently ruling. They perfectly suit the Indian palate’s craving for embellishment and slimming silhouettes. Altogether making them perfect for curvy brides to wear for various functions.
· Peplum blouses : Well fitted on to the waist and creating the illusion of a narrow waist. You could opt for a peplum on the lehenga that could conceals wide hips together with looking chic.
· The flashy embroidery is being taken over by gota patti and zari work and trust me girls its definitely worth a shot .
Styl-Tip : your outfits should be ready at least 20 days before the occasion. Leaving you enough time for alterations. They should fit like a dream, neither too loose or tight.
6) DO’S AND DON’T’S
· Deep necklines for blouse like U- neck and V-neck are best suited for curvy women. Rather preferred over a high neck that might accentuate the bust making it look heavier
· Structured hairstyles like curvy bangs or puffs makes the face look defined.
· Brides with a chubby face can go for open hair with soft waves or soft curls and let them naturally fall on the face .
· Contouring and highlighting be done carefully according to the face structure and skin tone.
· Accessorize with a waist belt. Wrap it around the narrowest part of your waist for a lean look. In the same way an empire line creates the illusion of a waist giving a lean look.
Styl-Tip : Wear heels to add height and visually elongate the body. We suggest pretty platforms or wedges that are more comfy. Cos Im sure its not possible to dance the night away without our happy feet.
Embrace your body and own your day. Every bride is different and pretty in their own way, don’t let them tell you any differently. There are various options for us curvy brides out there and there is no stopping us.
Regardless of your shopping woes, Styl-Inc vows to never let you have a dull moment while you shop with our Wedding Stylist. All you got to do is pick up the phone and book an appointment. You could also do so by visiting our website.
Signing off ,
Keepin’ it stylish ,
-Priyal Malik/Shivi Bhardwaj